Wednesday, July 27, 2016

On Art, Identity, and Community Building

       Usually, I know exactly what I want to say before I start writing a blog post. Today I don't. I just know that I need to talk about this.

       Lately I have felt very compelled to create art. This is partially out of my own desires and sense of identity. Among other things I am a writer, artist, videographer. I create art because it is simply something I do and have always done.

       However, recently it has also been out of a desire for community. The wider community of darkly-clad and otherwise alternative people often centers on art, be it literature, music, film, or what-have-you. Therefore I am drawn to create art in order to establish a connection with these like-minded individuals. I also want to seek out and celebrate the art that these others create. Doing so brings with it a sense of community and support, as well as inspiration.

       I recently attended the Sacramento Love Horror Film Festival. The show was a magnificent mix of horror films and amazing live performers. Everyone in that room, from the performers to the audience, to the people running the show, had such a visible and passionate appreciation for the dark, macabre, and otherwise odd. It was wonderful and touching to feel that connection with so many people. As the MC stated at one point, we were there because we were weird motherfuckers and we needed to stick together.

       But it was the art that gave us the excuse to gather there.

       In Voltaire's video, The Future Rock Star's Handbook #1, he stresses the importance of being the artist you want others to see you as. I think this is even more important when you are looking at art as a community builder. If you want to be an alternative artist creating art that draws in an alternative community....then you have to do it. You have to get out there and present yourself as that artist, and have the art to back it up. Art cannot serve as a community builder if it is never presented to the community. If that is what you want to do, you have to be willing to play that role.

       That's not to say that you should present yourself in a way that you aren't comfortable with, just because you want to appeal to the community. The art that you create and the role you play in the community are going to be infinitely stronger if you are comfortable and confident in them. What it does mean is that if there is something you want to be seen as, you have to be brave and go for it. You have to be who you want to be and create the art you want. Do that and in time, others will respond to the work that you have done.

       Being exactly who you want to be isn't something we can all do all of the time, but it is something we can strive to do to the best of our abilities.

       I have quite a headache so this may not be particularly cohesive. Regardless, I needed to get this out there. now I am going to go work on some of my own art while embracing all the aspects I can of who I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment