Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Look at the Week (7/22-7/29)

Once school starts up, posts like these will probably end up happening on the weekends. Until then, who knows. Either way, I want to make a point of taking some time each week to share what I've been up to, highlight posts I've enjoyed, and share interesting links.

Some posts I've loved:

Not all of these fall within the last week, but I've been doing a bit of catching up since I've been away for so long.

The Everyday Goth and Catacombxkitten have written some very helpful guides on surviving the goth scene and avoiding in-scene drama, respectively.

I've been absolutely blown away by outfits by The HouseCat of Domesticated and Karoliina of Bones and Lilies. The HouseCat rocked two different beautiful androgynous outfits that I truly envy. Meanwhile Karoliina looked absolutely out of this world in a shiny silver and purple outfit.

Sary of the Walrus Room offers some great tips on how to build both your own witchy style and a cabinet of curiosities.

Lastly, getting away from the goth side of things, Aine O'Brien of The Tarot and Other Curious Things suggests picking a tarot card to illustrate your current situation. I like this idea because it encourages you to be thoughtful and reflect on both the cards and your life. I believe I may take part, not necessarily in all of my posts, but at least in these weekly reflection posts.

What I've been up to:

I've spent a lot of this week just trying to finish my summer homework for AP English. I had to read and take notes on Crime and Punishment, Mythology, and the Bible. It's taken a ton of work, but I've managed to finish! Now I finally get some free time before school starts.

Additionally, I've spent time with my friend Jamie. We've been filming some short films, which I'll share with you if we ever post them online. We've also been watching tons of episodes of Goosebumps and The Haunting Hour since there's a Goosebumps movie coming out in October. So excited!

This week has also been dedicated to DIY. I made myself this lovely black and white striped circle skirt with little pumpkin bows. This is the first time I've ever made anything using a pattern and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. If you want to make one of your own, I highly suggest this tutorial.


I wanted to take a picture of my entire outfit, but the lighting in my house is awful. Maybe another time.

What I've been listening to:

Way more post-punk than usual. Goth points for me I guess. I blame YouTube.

Other interesting things:

Anyone who is both darkly inclined and queer is bound to absolutely love these queer flag bats from xxcookievampiressxxladyofart on Tumblr. I know I do!

Every picture tells a story:




This week would be aptly represented by the seven of pentacles. It was all about plodding along and devoting a lot of my time to reaching my goals. In my case, my main goal was to finally finish my reading. I've been working on my reading homework since the beginning of summer. Well, before that actually. I've been working on it since the day my school gave me the books. It's been difficult and at some points endlessly boring, but I just had to buckle down and continue. I knew if I kept working I would get there eventually. I just needed to keep up with the dedicated work ethic the seven of pentacles represents.

And now I've finally-- finally!--finished. The hours spent pouring over those books and checking SparkNotes every ten minutes to make sure I understood what was happening has finally paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment